Attitude & goals
“Sustainability is the basis for ensuring a future worth living in. It safeguards the ecological, social and economic future, as well as competitiveness and commercial success.
Our vision is to achieve systematic defossilization. To do so, we are focusing on systematically increasing efficiency and using renewable energies and raw materials.
Furthermore, people are at the heart of what we do, and we take a holistic view to ensuring and maintaining an up-to-date, humanitarian duty of care for all employees.”
Dr. Eric Nebel, Sustainability Manager
Optimising the ecological footprint
Climate change presents us with particular challenges, which we intend to meet by optimising the ecological footprint of our headquarters (scope 1+2) and of our products and services (scope 3).
We have carried out a detailed assessment of the environmental impact of our head-quarters in Monheim, Bavaria with the aim of reducing CO₂ emissions and ecological damage.
Sustainable circular economy
We record the indirect emissions in order to identify and implement potential for reduction in the supply chain and in the logistics and packaging area. The aim is to conserve resources and enter into a sustainable circular economy.
Our current status
Reduction in greenhouse gases
Since 2016, the reduction in our greenhouse gases for scope 1 and 2 emissions at our Monheim sites has averaged 11% per year according to the Greenhouse Gas Protocol (GHG).
Self-generated electricity & green energy
Around 27% of the total electricity consumed is produced in-house.
In addition, since April 2022, 100% of the energy purchased from the public grid at the Monheim site has been certified green energy.
Hama wants to offer a comprehensive charging infrastructure for electric vehicles and, as a first step, has set up eight charging stations, each with two 11 kW charging slots, at the logistics center of the company’s headquarters in Monheim.
Self-generated electricity / energy efficiency
- Since 2017, approx. 7% of the total power required has been generated by a solar installation with an output of 475.2 kWp
- Since 2014, three combined heat and power plantswith an electrical output of 140 kW have generated around 20% of the power required at the Monheim site
- In summer, an absorption chiller is used to generate cold air for the air conditioning in the buildings
- Gradual conversion to LED lighting and further savings achieved by installing motion detectors
More climate-friendly processes
- Increasing relocation of the packaging process to Germany further improves our carbon footprint
- Reduction in the proportion of the total transport volume occupied by air freight from 6% to 3% (during the period from 2016 to 2021)
- Inclusion of rail freight since 2016 and increase in the transport proportion to 3%
- Additional considerable reduction in waste and increase in recycling rates thanks to a modern, forward-looking waste management system
Sustainable packaging at the Monheim site
- Systematic conversion to cardboard packaging (47% reduction in blister packaging since 2017)
- Cardboard and paper from non-recycled sources originate from sustainable forestry with FSC certifi-cation
- Remaining plastic packaging has been PVC-freesince 2021
- 52% reduction of magnets in packaging since 2018
- Recyclable, easily separable design, where possible made from monomaterials
Sustainable products and packaging
As a leading brand manufacturer, we are aware of our great responsibility towards people and our environment. As an important contribution to the preservation of our livelihoods and in order to live up to this high level of responsibility, we place a special focus on the sustainability of packaging and products.More about our sustainable products
Next steps to reduce carbon footprint
- Further increase in the proportion of electricity generated ourselves from renewable sources, including commissioning a fourth CHP
- Conversion of the fleet and our business travel to more sustainable forms of mobility
- Avoiding raw materials and components from fossil sources and instead giving preference to recycled and bio-based raw materials
- Determining the product carbon footprint (PCF)
- Our worldwide network of supplier and production sites is being consistently and bindingly integrated into the Hama sustainability concept
- General compliance with humanitarian duty of care, now with a greater focus on environmental and climate protection measures
- Transparent recording of overall environmental and climate performance at company, product and supply chain level using sustainability key figures
- CO₂ emissions will be reduced together with our production partners
- Any remaining, currently unavoidable CO₂ emissions will be selectively offset by means of certified CO₂ compensation projects
- Since 2019, more than 10,000 tonnes of CO₂ have been offset and compensated for through our cooperation with ClimatePartner